What We Do
Curriculum | Enrollment | Current Families | Contact Info | Staff
Rosen Family Preschool is a classroom for children ages 3-5 that emphasizes both American Sign Language (ASL) and English, giving Deaf or hard of hearing children the language foundation they need to succeed in school and later in life. The program is also open to hearing children who would benefit from an ASL-friendly environment, such as those raised in a home that uses sign language.
Rosen uses early education and deaf education best practices to create a bilingual/bicultural learning environment that builds language and literacy skills. Curious about the benefits of bilingual education for deaf and hard of hearing children? Check out our Resources page or contact us with questions.
Rosen Preschool is open five days a week at HSDC’s Seattle office. We also offer home visits for parents who would like more hands-on support.
Key elements of the Rosen Family Preschool curriculum include:
- Bilingual/bimodal teaching approach
- Direct instruction in ASL to ensure accessibility for Deaf and hard of hearing students
- Visually accessible classroom environment with modern technology
- Classroom equipped with soundfield FM system
- Additional assistance from an Audiologist and Speech-Language Pathologist who specialize in working with deaf and hard of hearing children
If you think your child may be a good fit for Rosen Family Preschool, please contact us to discuss your options. Most of our students are located in the Seattle area.
Hearing children who would benefit from a sign language classroom, such as children of Deaf adults (CODAs), the siblings of deaf children, or children with speech differences, will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Families in Seattle with hearing children may be eligible for tuition assistance from the Seattle Preschool Program.
Scholarships may be available to families who need additional financial assistance.
Families who do not receive tuition assistance and wish to pay out-of-pocket will be considered on a case-by-base basis.
Families currently enrolled in Rosen Preschool can view a class calendar and important documents on our Rosen Resources page.
View the Rosen Family Preschool Handbook to see the classroom’s policies and procedures. We have ASL videos below for some sections of the handbook.
- What should I bring on the first day of school? (page 3 of the handbook)
- Rosen’s mission and vision (page 6)
- What does learning look like in the Rosen Classroom? (page 7)
- The Rosen Family Preschool Philosophy (page 8)